MODULE 6 Other Burn Requirements

Local Fire Agency and CalFIRE Permits

The fire agencies within the County require burn permits for residential outdoor burning.  Residents wishing to burn piles larger than 4’ x 4’ must also obtain an AQMD permit.  Some fire agencies have their own permits, while others use CalFIRE’s statewide residential burn permit.  CalFIRE has two types of open burning permits: a residential burn permit for piles less than 4 feet by 4 feet (Form LE-62A, also known as “Dooryard” burn permits), and a burn permit for piles larger than 4 feet by 4 feet (Form LE-5).  CalFIRE permits are required from May 1st until the CalFIRE Director declares that hazardous fire conditions have abated for the year.  It’s a good idea to notify your fire agency just prior to burning.  Several agencies have slightly different requirements as noted on the next page.